Guys. This is a warning. Don’t get roses for your girlfriend on Valentine’s!
As a female, I really hate it when I receive roses from my date on Valentine’s. Even though Korean Dramas probably got us thinking that it’s the most romantic gesture that one can do for their S.O., as someone more practical, I totally beg to differ.
Why Roses Suck as Valentine’s Gifts
- Roses spoil easily. Pretty, but oh so fragile. Just like a colourful bowl of ice-kachang on a sweltering hot day.
- Roses are expensive. The forces of supply and demand are hard at play here. And as your loving girlfriend, we don’t want you to have to starve just to buy us a bunch of roses.
- Roses aren’t forever. We rather that you spend your hard-earned cash on something more permanent. Perhaps, a diamond ring? 😉
So what do females want exactly for Valentine’s?
- We want your sincerity. We’re suckers for handmade. It makes us happy to know that you spend your after-work hours crafting a gift for us. Store-bought just spells out, ‘I just spent all my free time playing DOTA so all I got you was this lousy gift’.
- We want your empathy. Girls don’t just say something just because. Sometimes, when we mention something in passing remark, we secretly hope you remember it and personalise your Valentine’s gift accordingly.
- Most of all, we want your LOVE! We want to be the number one in your hearts and be revered as your only goddess. Other than Princess Leia of course.